What is Reflexology?
Reflexology is an ancient natural therapy dating back thousands of years. It uses the subtle energies of the feet to bring balance & harmony, helping us to attain and maintain good health & wellbeing. It is said that our feet are like mirrors of our entire being..
“Quite simply, everything that happens in the being has a reflexion in the feet and everything that happens in the feet is relayed to the being” (S. Enzer; References: Maternity Reflexology Manual S. Enzer; 2004); S. Wagner (US Reflexologist)
What is the difference between Regular Reflexology & Maternity Reflexology?
Every person is unique and so is every pregnancy. Throughout the three stages (trimesters) of pregnancy, Maternity Reflexology applies specialised techniques tailored for each pregnant client during their unique pregnancy experience:
- Maternity reflexology techniques target pregnancy related minor ailments to assist in their elimination or to relieve their symptoms
- Relaxation techniques have been created and adapted specifically for pregnancy to calm both mother and baby
- The Endocrine System is regularly treated, bringing hormonal & energetic balance, symptom control & relief for the benefit of both mother & baby
- Turning a breech baby
- Post mature (40 weeks+) clients can be treated with labour priming techniques to encourage the natural commencement of labour
- May significantly reduce time spent in labour
- For months following delivery Maternity Reflexology continues to bring balance & harmony to both mother & baby
- Some of the techniques Maternity Reflexology has to offer may also benefit women approaching menopause/experiencing menopausal symptoms.
Throughout Pregnancy, Labour, Birthing, Postnatal & New-born Baby Care Maternity Reflexology may help with the following:
- Boost, stimulate & calm your Endocrine System with the aim of bringing hormonal harmony, naturally balancing your mind, body & soul to achieve optimum health in pre-conception, pregnancy, birthing & beyond for you and your baby
- Reduce anxiety & stress, both contributors to infertility & sub-fertility in both men & women
- Combining pre-conception (for both partners), pregnancy & birthing with the experience of Maternity Reflexology brings understanding, knowledge, pleasure & excitement to the process
- You may see changes in your feet that directly correspond & reflect in the pregnancy & vice versa. With your permission, I may take photographs of your feet when you attend clinic during the three trimesters of your pregnancy to demonstrate the reflexion of the pregnancy in your feet
- May ease the labour process & reduce its time
Minor Ailments in Pregnancy
Maternity Reflexology may ease minor ailments in pregnancy – clients report the therapy brings relief to and has a positive effect on the following:
- Morning sickness
- Mood swings/emotional well-being
- Groin, ligament, rib, pelvic & symphysis pubis pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Reduces moderate oedema
- Reduces high blood pressure
- Frequent micturition; diarrhoea; constipation
- Eliminates toxins
Fathers are encouraged to experience/participate in the pregnancy, reflexology, labour, birthing & postnatal.
Following birth of baby(ies), there are specialised techniques that encourage the natural delivery of a retained placenta.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Maternity Reflexology may relieve baby’s colic & maintain regular feed/sleep patterns
- Supports the natural bonding of mother & baby
- Promotes healing, breast feeding & balance
- May relieve symptoms of postnatal depression/other PN problems. New parents are given the opportunity to learn a few simple techniques to calm & relax their new baby
- Postnatal reflexology support is offered to the new family